I am not a dedicated raider, but I love raiding. Since I can never commit to the raiding schedules that guilds require of their raiders, I am in a constant state of pugging. When I'm not actively in a pug, I am scanning the trade channel looking for one that will have all the qualities required to be successful- gear, experience, patience, and maybe a little bit of luck. When I find such a group, I'm ecstatic. But more often than not, I face group after group of impatient, inexperienced, and under geared scrubs who simply want to be carried to the final boss so they can get their [EPIC LOOT] Those groups often end in a way that everyone who has ever pugged is familiar with- people getting frustrated and leaving. But every now and then, there is a group that fails so bad, the fail is almost a win, in and of itself, for being such a unique level of fail.

Those are the groups this blog is about.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Achievement Whores

I'm an achievement whore. I love the little noise it makes, I love the bright flash, the little square at the bottom center of my screen, I love that it announces to everyone nearby exactly how awesome I am. Hell, on my priest, I even worked my butt off for achievements that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. (Just my priest... more than that would take Forever!) I'll harass my guildmates to pull together just so we can go kill some critter in a fabulous manner that's a complete pain in the ass.

What I don't do is harass pugs to attempt that same kill. Because it's a pug. They're innately totally incapable of that nonsense. It's in their blood and everything. (This is, of course, simply referring to your average pug. All you fuckers who get grouped with people who can talk, chew gum, and get out of the fire at the same time, I hate you.)

So this run I'm in the other day, some twit had already annoyed the hell outa me, bitching and moaning about some buff he wanted really, really bad, so he could pretend he was cool by being just a bit closer to the top of the dps meters. But I digress. We get to some boss, I don't even remember which one, and he's all "lets go fer duh achiev, guyz! Mage! Hit your time warp asap!"

Now, I already did my assessment of the group, and it just was not an achievement group. A couple people got hit by things, a couple people weren't where they needed to be, and nobody was freeking icing a single damned monster, and most of all, the dps wasn't where it needed to be(mine included, whatev) It just wasn't an achievement group. I told him no, and that we would be doing it regular... We start the fight, and he tries to get the achievement all by himself- by not contributing to what the group as a whole was doing. We finished the fight pretty well, if a little sloppily, and started to the next boss.
The achievement whore then piped up with "we woulda had it if the mage had used time warp when I said".

Back to what I was ranting about- there are achievement groups, and there aren't. The chances of finding one in your guild, or even on your own server are infinitely better than finding one in a pug.

No comments:

Post a Comment