I am not a dedicated raider, but I love raiding. Since I can never commit to the raiding schedules that guilds require of their raiders, I am in a constant state of pugging. When I'm not actively in a pug, I am scanning the trade channel looking for one that will have all the qualities required to be successful- gear, experience, patience, and maybe a little bit of luck. When I find such a group, I'm ecstatic. But more often than not, I face group after group of impatient, inexperienced, and under geared scrubs who simply want to be carried to the final boss so they can get their [EPIC LOOT] Those groups often end in a way that everyone who has ever pugged is familiar with- people getting frustrated and leaving. But every now and then, there is a group that fails so bad, the fail is almost a win, in and of itself, for being such a unique level of fail.

Those are the groups this blog is about.

Monday, November 15, 2010

wait. what... just happened?



It's a question I've asked myself several times recently, as I've encountered something I hadn't seen before. As some of you know, I recenlty rolled a toon on a new server.  Most of my PUG's have been run with a fellow guild member, a tank, and have been tolerable, if not completely successful. However, I've been running on my own for a couple days, and regretting it.

Not only is my queue time ridiculous(even for a lone healer) but the groups are more often than not of the epic fail variety. They are composed of the usual suspects- dps pulling, huntards not controlling pets, everyone standing in any fire available, etc. Those are the types of fail that I am used to and generally prepared to overcompensate in my healing for.

But! I have been introduced to another kind of fail group. This one I honestly have *never* encountered before now. I suppose variety is the spice of life, and my recent wow pugs have been spicy indeed.

Here is a rundown of this new and improved kind of fail:

Step 1: Queue up. Browse the AH. Clean out bags(why the fuck am I rolling around with 8 and 10 slot bags at level 54, anyways?!) Repair. Turn in quests. Run around and learn flight paths. Go back to the AH. /facepalm at trade chat trolls.

Step 2: ZOMG! Queue popped! Yay! Make sure I'm in the right spec for what the LFG tool says I'm susposed to do and hit accept.

Step 3: Loading screen. Protip:  Don't stand in the fire!

Step 4: Zone in. The scene is set as follows- Tank is way ahead out of range and appears to be in the middle of getting zerged by little red bars. One of the dps is already dead. The rogue uses his vanish while standing on a flamestriked area and doesn't move. The third dps is trying to hearth out in a corner. Suddenly, and not surprisingly, the tank dies then leaves group. The dead guy and the rogue leave group. All the little zerglings who were pummeling the tank turn their beady little eyes on me, the healer. I die under their gaze. The hearthmaster then dies and leaves group. All mobs reset to their original locations, revealing that the tank had pulled SEVEN GROUPS while the group was waiting for the lfg system to find a healer.

Step 5: uuhhh..... wut just happened? /boggle

Step 6: Loading screen. Protip: Dungeons are more fun when everyone works together as a team. Be patient with players who are still learning the game. ( /facepalm )

Yeah. That's the group I ran into this weekend. Not just once, either! This happened three or four times! My mind was totally and completely boggled. I can understand a geared tank pulling a group that he/she is comfortable tanking without heals. They want to continue to have progress so the other members of the group don't bail out. Hell, I've even done it. Cautiously. But I would never pull exceptionally large groups with no healer. It just doesn't make any sense.

Even if you had all died due to the stupidity and impatience of a shitty tank, why would you leave when you finally got a healer from the queue? Yeah, you're dead. Just run back. bailing out wastes an amazing amount of time. The deserter debuff sucks balls, and then there's the wait for another group to form. As dps, that's about half a day. Just waiting for a queue.

I suppose, when the fail is just too much, that there's is no alternative than to bail out and wait for all those timers. Sometimes, doing nothing really is better than suffering through some of the PUG's there are nowdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment