I am not a dedicated raider, but I love raiding. Since I can never commit to the raiding schedules that guilds require of their raiders, I am in a constant state of pugging. When I'm not actively in a pug, I am scanning the trade channel looking for one that will have all the qualities required to be successful- gear, experience, patience, and maybe a little bit of luck. When I find such a group, I'm ecstatic. But more often than not, I face group after group of impatient, inexperienced, and under geared scrubs who simply want to be carried to the final boss so they can get their [EPIC LOOT] Those groups often end in a way that everyone who has ever pugged is familiar with- people getting frustrated and leaving. But every now and then, there is a group that fails so bad, the fail is almost a win, in and of itself, for being such a unique level of fail.

Those are the groups this blog is about.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

"I have a level 80!"

There's a spectrum of players you encounter when you do pugs. At the one end of the spectrum is the brand new player who is wearing all quest gear and needs each fight explained to them in painstaking detail, lest they decide to stand in a nearby fire to keep cozy and warm. And on the other end of the spectrum is the hardcore raider who has maxed out multiple characters not only in levels, but in gear and toys, and boy are they anxious to let you know it.

When you're grouped with them, they're both annoying, but I daresay that the more annoying of the two is the hardcore raider. Granted- they are experienced, and usually geared. However, I believe that is where the pro's to having them in your group end. The con list is what makes me /facepalm whenever I realize that I am in a group with them.

The beginning the list is their overconfidence. They will consistently overexert themselves, regardless of the skill and gear of their teammates. Tanks will pull more than their healers can comfortably heal. DPS will smash every cooldown and complain when their tank can't hold mobs and their healer can't keep them up under the onslaught of the agro that they just pulled.
Next is their holier than thou attitudes. They will constantly bash on the group with them, passing all blame to others and then throwing insults along with salt into the wounds.
Another problem that is run into is the meter linking. This person will either link the meters after EVERY pull or will ask somebody else in the group to link so that they don't look like the cocky asshole they are.
Finally, they always want to tell everyone else in the group how to do their job, how to play their class, how to do every pull. It's always nice at first, but after awhile it's annoying and unnecessary.

And so, I would much prefer to be pugged with a noob, who can learn and be trained, than with a experienced raider, who is far too obnoxious and self righteous to even attempt to improve their ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment